Thursday, December 17, 2009

Review: Evidence of Angels by Suza Scalora

Title: Evidence of Angels

Author: Suza Scalora with Francesca Lia Block

Rating:

Who Should Read It?At the end of the book, it says "this book is dedicated to everyone who has ever felt alone." I couldn't have said it better myself. I have a friend who was just diagnosed with what they think is cancer, and I've bought an extra copy of this book for her.

What I Have to Say: I actually had trouble starting this book, but not for the reasons you're probably thinking. Every time I picked it up, I was just so overwhelmed and awed by the beauty and inspiration of the images that I found that I couldn't help but look through the book at all of them, missing the words. I couldn't bring myself to read because the images were just too beautiful. Each image was vibrant and colorful; each image absolutely took my breath away. The angels in each of Suza Scalora's photos are so realistic and full of light that at times I felt myself believing that they were real angels that she had somehow managed to miraculously catch on camera. And who knows - maybe they were.
When I finally made myself sit down and read the actual words on each page, I was not disappointed at all. The message that Scalora is sharing with us through her images of angels is so beautiful that I almost cried. Angels do exist. We are never alone. Sometimes help and/or comfort comes in odd or unexpected forms.
When asked why she wrote "Evidence of Angels," Scalora's response was "My intention was to create a book which could transport the reader to a place of hope and courage within his or her own self." She succeeded. Every time in the futre that I feel lost, in need of hope or courage, I am sure I will turn back to this book. Just seeing those angels in such average places, watching over everyone, will, I am certain, instill in me the hope and courage that I need.
This book inspired me.
I haven't seen any of Scalora's previous books, but now I will be on the lookout!

What the book is all about: Open your eyes.

Open your mind.

Open your heart.

They are with you every day.

They are everywhere.

They are angels.

Open and begin your journey. . . .


Final Question: You may be wondering why you're seeing this post in the midst of all of my Christmas posts. Or maybe you're not, as you understand that angels are one of the most beautiful things associated with Christmas. So my question to you is this: has an angel unexpectedly helped you out this Christmas season? Have you witnessed or seen evidence of an angel?

Interesting fact: When I sat down to refine this review, I got an e-mail announcing that "Evidence of Angels" was voted A Booklist Top 10 Spirituality Book for Youth.

If you need someone who might need a little push to help get their life back together, this book is definitely a gift to consider!

Disclosure: Thanks to Suza for sending me a copy of this book to give an honest review.

6 comments:

La Coccinelle said...

It looks beautiful. I've read two of her previous books, and I loved them.

Kirthi said...

Sounds like a warming, satisfying book. I hope that the doctors are wrong, and that your friend doesn't have cancer, Send your friend my sympathy!

Nikki @ Bookizzle said...

I am quite intrigued! Sounds like a book I need to look into. Thanks for the review!

Liz @ Cleverly Inked said...

heartfelt review.

Tales of Whimsy said...

I loved this book. Great review.

Andrea I said...

The cover alone is beautiful. I have never read anything by Suza Scalora. Based on your review I think it is exactly the book I need now.

My Contests

None for now!