Sunday, July 19, 2009

Angus, Thongs, and Full-Frontal Snogging (IS NOT FUNNY)

Title: Angus, Thongs, and Full-Frontal Snogging

Author: Louise Rennison

Rating:

Who Should Read It? Um, no one? Or rather, YA readers who find British humour hilarious and don't mind slightly annoying main characters

What I Have to Say: I do NOT understand why I have heard only good things about this book. "Bridget Jones for teenagers - but funnier," "This book it funny. Very funny." I don't get it because, well, it wasn't funny. Or maybe I was just too American for it, because as opposed to finding Georgia Nicolson and all of her Britishisms funny, I found her completely ANNOYING. Along with her friends. And her sister. ALL she did was complain, complain, complain, and then say the occasional stupid thing that, I suppose, was supposed to be funny.
The ONLY reason I give this book 2 stars is because it did incite a reaction (be it a negative one), and I think I might have sort-of laughed one towards the end.
I'm sorry, but I just don't get all the rage.

Summary (which comes straight from Amazon and isn't really a summary):She has a precocious 3-year-old sister who tends to leave wet nappies at the foot of her bed, an insane cat who is prone to leg-shredding "Call of the Wild" episodes, and embarrassing parents who make her want to escape to Stonehenge and dance with the Druids. No wonder 14-year-old Georgia Nicolson laments, "Honestly, what is the point?" A Bridget Jones for the younger set, Georgia records the momentous events of her life--and they are all momentous--in her diary, which serves as a truly hilarious account of what it means to be a modern girl on the cusp of womanhood. No matter that her particular story takes place in England, the account of her experiences rings true across the ocean (and besides, "Georgia's Glossary" swiftly eradicates any language barriers).

1 comment:

Spiggy said...

Once again, your review kinda makes me want to read it =p

Then again, I adore British humour!

My Contests

None for now!