Friday, February 12, 2010

French Friday (13)




French Friday is a weekly feature hosted by Charlotte at the Book on the Hill. We both live in France, so French Friday is a meme to write about Frenchy bookish things.

This week, I've decided to focus on one of my favorite authors, Lisa See. The covers of her books in France are extraordinarily different from the ones that you see in the US (or the UK or Australia), and yet I love them anyway.



US Title: Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
French Title: Fleur de Neige
Translation: Snow Flower

My Thoughts: The covers are extraordinarily different, it's true, but I feel like they both play up a different aspect of the book. While it's true that the US one gives me more desire to read the book, there's somethinhg almost mystical and mysterious about the French one. Which do you prefer?
As for the titles, I think Fleur de Neige is a better translation than if they had tried to translate it directly. It sounds lovely.





US Title: Peony in Love
French Title: Le pavillon de pivoines
Translation: Peony Pavillion

My Thoughts: Once again, the covers are extraordinarily different, and I think they play up different parts of the story. On the French one, I like how the pavillion and the fog and the face in the background all sort of blend together. I find the fan on the American one to be quite lovely as well. I admit that the American one gives me more desire to read the story, but it's still hard to say which one I prefer. Which do you prefer?
I also am once again glad that they didn't directly translate the title. The way they did it sounds better than it would and gives more a feel for the story, I'd say.

I'm looking forward to see what the French cover of Shanghai Girls will look like. From what I can tell, it hasn't yet been translated. I haven't read it yet, but I just recently won it, so I'm quite looking forward to reading it.

And that's all for this week's version of French Friday!!!! :-) If you haven't already, don't forget to check out this week's French Friday at The Book on the Hill!
A vendredi prochain!

7 comments:

Michelle said...

I think the French covers are much more interesting. Thanks so much for sharing!

Tales of Whimsy said...

What lovely covers!

Esme said...

I have read both of them already-so it is had to say that one cover draws me in more-what is interesting is Fleur de Niege-what about and the secret fan. I like the title in English more.

PS can I get you to pop over to http://anovelmenagerie.com/2010/02/08/anms-2010-beautiful-baby-contest/

and vote for Penelope and Magellan in the beautiful baby contest.

Thanks

Charlotte said...

My favorites :

- Original cover and title of Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. I think it's gorgeous, I love the colors and the fan.

- French cover and title of Peony in Love. The title is interesting to say with the 'P' sonority. It rings well in my ears. :)

Happy Friday !

Heather Zundel said...

I think I like the title "Snow Flower" all by itself. It is more engaging to me. And some of those covers are absolutely beautiful.

Liz @ Cleverly Inked said...

Love this idea for a meme, The top set I like the one on the right. The bottom set I like the one on the left. Very cool

Anonymous said...

I love the faces in the French covers, I think they just add something.

My Contests

None for now!